April 13, 2008

Diamond Project 4.5 - Mange Intermission

April 5th

Every good Diamond Project involves a trip to a local hot spot for awesome food that is in no way awesome for you. Even though I lived in DC for almost four years, I never partook of the goodness that is the famous Ben's Chili Bowl.

Thankfully, this was corrected today and I sampled a half smoke and chili cheese fries.

Seriously, nothing says "that was flipping awesome" like a post gorge food carnage photo.

(My friend Kelly found this really weird tattoo photo on a blog and I just thought it was too appropriate not to include here. )

After a food lovers field trip to dreamy Wegmans for brunch goodies, we continued the eating extravaganza with dinner at Tonic. This is a great little pub up in Mt. Pleasant, yet another area of DC I neglected during my tenue. Since Mac and Cheese is a big DP tradition I made sure to sample this one. It was decent, but it was no S'MAC.

On our walk to post dinner drinks, we passed the Bacon Funeral Home. I don't think I would mind using their services. At my funeral people could come around with all sorts of bacon infused food products and say, "I'm sorry for your loss, but here is a delicious plate of salty fatty goodness to ease your sorrows."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great entry. I love food aftermath. I am dying to go to Ben's Chili Bowl. I am DYING even more for another DP. I'm sad I missed 4.5- Mange Intermission

Anonymous said...

Bacon product: Check out this chocolate bar:

http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/bacon_exotic_candy_bar/exotic_candy_bars

PJ Coleman said...

So, get this...

I started listening to non-pop music at a relatively early age. Don't get me wrong.. I love pop music, but my older sisters got me hooked on "progressive" music early on.

My sister's friends were also a big influence on me. My sister's friend Chris N. and his friend Robby L. introduced me to hardcore music when I was in the 7th or 8th grade. I was mostly into Minor Threat, 7 Seconds, and Dag Nasty.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because of the "Guilty of Being Delicious" tattoo that Kelly found. It seemed really familiar when I saw it, but I couldn't figure out why until this evening.

The image is a take on a drawing used on one of the band Minor Threat's 7" records. The image is inspired by the song "Bottled Violence"
Here is an image from a 7" sleeve
Here is an image from a sticker

... and the "Guilty" thing is a take on one of their songs... "Guilty of Being White", an antiracist song sometimes perceived as racist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_Threat#Early_years


It saddens me when I think back on what hardcore music used to be. That it is now a BS, MySpace, Hot Topic commodity... blech.
I love seeing the old pictures of kids at hardcore shows wearing shirts from K-Mart and dungarees from Montgomery Ward... but they were punk rock as hell... and probably loved bacon.