April 28, 2008

Gettysburg Is Fierce

April 19th

I love to experience the odd things people do with their free time and energy and I find that the further into middle American you explore, the more bizarre things become. Gettysburg, being a magnet for historical reenactment freaks, was no exception. In addition to numerous private homes waving the confederate flag and couples walking in full civil war getups, I encountered this sculpture:

I titled it: "Honest Abe Tells Tourist His Outfit Is A Hot Mess"

Because there was literally no room at the (Gettysburg) Inn, I stayed at a historic bed and breakfast in town. While it was quaint, I decided I'm not the B & B type. The guest rooms were on top of each other, there was no TV in the bedroom and I didn't like having to sit at breakfast with total strangers. However, you won't find a book like this at a Holiday Inn!

One of my favorite things in any town is going to an all night diner right after the bars let out. In a small town like this, it's just about the most entertaining thing possible. What's also great is mysterious menu items like the "Other" muffin, the two variety category "Bagelry" and the uber scary "Honey Finger"!

No comments: