April 13, 2008

Kathleen Edwards At Irving Plaza

April 10th

I've been unsuccessful in finding the energy to write my thoughts on seeing Kathleen Edwards at Irving Plaza...mostly because I've been feeling very melancholy lately. Not ironically, Kathleen's biggest asset is her ability to convey that very sentiment through solid melodies, lilting gravely vocals, and straightforward lyrics.

While I was disappointed that she didn't play Hockey Skates, which is by far her best song, my favorite of the night was Sure As Shit from her new album. You can click the link to listen but I thought I would include the lyrics here:

Choosing my words carefully
Has never been my strength
I've been known to be vague
And often pointless
But you sure as shit know me
Better than anybody else
And for that in my heart I am hopeful

So I helped you pack your bags
And I folded up your snap shirts
When you come back
It will already be the winter
If you look at other girls
Working out in the nighttime
I don't mind but I don't want to know it

And these years that I have known you
It's gone and blurred my sense of time
Now I can hardly even recall
What came before this
Letters left on pillows
Messages left on phones
Postcards in the mail
When we sent them
Cobwebs all collected
Paintings on the walls
Lounging around all day
In a hot pink chenille housecoat
And the secrets that I whispered
In your ear while you were sleeping
You can call to mind when you're
Out in the world without me

Oh the denim king
I sure as shit do love you
And I cuss because I mean it
And for that in my heart I am hopeful
And these words that I chose
I was so careful


Suffice to say, I really do love her and seeing her live was a totally worthwhile experience.
(Special thanks to SuburbanCowboy for the photos, as my camera was being temperamental, as per usual.)

No comments: