January 27, 2008

Adopt A Neighborhood - Williamsburg

January 19th

When trying to think of an all day activity where we wouldn't freeze during this month's exploration, art gallery hopping came to mind. Since we visited Chelsea last year, Brooklyn was the next best option. I used to spend a fair amount of time in Williamsburg, but hadn't been in almost a year. It was nice to be back for a visit.

In addition to seeing some "art", we all had a blast perusing the wares in this store aptly named Junk. I recently heard that items sold at Brooklyn Industries, which was started in this neighborhood, are made in China! I was proud of my messenger bag so it was really depressing to lose faith in my local homegrown business.

In addition to art, we all wanted to swing by McCarren Park and check out hipster greenery. Turns out... we're all just a bunch of kids! Acting stupid and messing about on playground equipment was by far my favorite part of the day.

Playing made us thirsty, so we picked up a few additions to our group and proceeded to explore the fine establishments in the area. First we had $3 beers at Rosemary's Tavern, followed by pitchers of sangria and great Mexican food at Bonita, and microbrews with a side of Miss Pacman at Barcade. You can click here to see photos from our whole day.

And this...well...this is just something I am posting for myself and the few of you that understand why I am proud of this photo and myself in the past year.

4 comments:

PJ Coleman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PJ Coleman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PJ Coleman said...

I read this interesting blog entry about Brooklyn Industries stuff being made in China. The blogger wrote a letter to the company and received a response... the blog includes both.
Worth checking out.

http://philosophicalkarl.blogspot.com/search?q=brooklyn+industries

Anonymous said...

I miss you.