March 24, 2008

Scooterific

March 16th

After a wedding brunch and hangover nap, BAM made the fateful decision to rent and ride scooters. Now, it's important to know that both the bride and groom bet I would die or seriously injure myself, hence waiting until AFTER their wedding to give this a go.

If you haven't gotten the jist over the course of this blog, I'm inherently clumsy and things "just happen" to me. By choosing to ride a motorized death trap on the wrong side of the road in foggy drizzle, I was basically asking for it! Thankfully, rental bikes have different colored license plates and coupled with the retarded looking white helmets, people knew to give us a wide breadth.

With Bonnie as our fearless left side of the road navigator and Rocco covering my ass, I managed to survive without incident on the first leg of our trip to the Crystal and Fantasy sea caves. While waiting for our tour guide, I met a friendly Bermuda kitty. He looked a lot like this cat from my first apartment in DC named Bob...who was normally referred to as Boob.

There was another less friendly cat lurking in the shrubbery. I really wanted to pet this little guy but he would run as soon as I made any moves.

Both the Crystal and Fantasy caves were packed with amazing stalactites and stalagmites, but the real gem was the clear sea water lake. My favorite part was the walk along the pontoon bridge in Crystal Cave.

After a dinner at the Swizzle Inn, BAM scootered along with the setting sun. I wish it had been possible to take photos while driving along this particular inner bay, because it was tranquil and so much fun!

The winds really started to pick up towards the end of our return trip. I had my only real brush with death by scooter when I was literally blown off the road...thankfully on to some grass. Bonnie scootered away unknowingly, but Rocco stuck with me while I collected my shit. In a perfect demonstration of the friendly and hospitable nature of the locals, a man found Bonnie up the road and pulled over to let her know I was fine and coming along shortly.

So....BAM lives to see another day!

No comments: