November 19, 2007

Adopt A Neighborhood - Greenwood Cemetery

November 18th

Today was yet another Adopt A Neighborhood event. This month we decided to explore Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn. Why a cemetery? Founded in 1838 as the third rural cemetery in the US, over the years it has buried many famous figures, currently has close to 600,000 graves on its 478 acres, was a popular destination for carriage rides in the early part of the century, and is now a registered historic site hosting guided tours, lectures, and book signings. As their website says, "It is also a remarkable arboretum, wildlife sanctuary, sculpture garden, a place of architecture, landscape design, and history."

This is the entrance at 25th street and 5th Ave that was designed by Richard Upjohn and is home to a large colony of monk parakeets who scolded me from above. (I kept my umbrella up just to be safe.)

The trees made an awesome backdrop for our long exploration.

Battle Hill is the highest point in Brooklyn and offers an amazing view of the city.

During the Battle of Brooklyn, this exact hill saw the first and largest battle of the American Revolution on August 27, 1776.

In addition to historical figures, there are some beautiful headstones and massive mausoleums throughout the grounds.

In general, it was a pleasant walk through the first people free natural environment I have experienced in all of New York City. It wasn't spooky except for the five panic filled minutes in the dark when we believed ourselves locked inside!

You can view the entire set of photos on my Flickr account here. I'm also really excited out to announce that one of my photos was chosen by Gothamist and used on their website! Check out the article here. Thank you PJ for the Flickr professional account that allowed me to get noticed!

To celebrate being alive and not stuck in the cemetery overnight, we all pigged out at the Greenwood location of Maria's Mexican Bistro.

We followed this up with two rousing rounds of "slackers" versus "professionals" bowling at Sunset Lanes. I bowled the best game of my life with a 113!

Too bad Mel was there to put my score to shame with his 153! Jerk!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a little teary eyed when I saw the trees all fall-like. I still miss that. But I also mountain biked today on a cliff beside the ocean. For anyone reading this today is a f'n Tuesday and its like 4 in the afternoon. That's right... you can do junk like that in the middle of the day when you are the boss in California.

Anonymous said...

don't hate on a professional overshadowing your moment of bowling glory. You should be grateful I didn't bring my shoes and my glove. hehe. just jokes, banana. just jokes.

if it makes you feel better, you were such a challenge, I injured my rib muscles trying to beat you.

in honor of your effort, I offer you free bowling lessons to your good game into great ones