June 8, 2008

Bike Boo Boo

June 2nd

I have a lot of friends that bike around the city and I thought I'd try to see if biking helps shed these horrific extra 13 pounds I've gained since my metabolism realized it's also 30! So dad brought down my old dorky bike from high school, I took the day off my hellish job, and Chris helped me get it in shape for riding. It's a damn good thing I don't care about looking cool.

I did pretty decent for someone that hadn't really been on a bike in years. We made two loops around the park (including the yucky hill near Grand Army Plaza) and then Chris asked me to show him the Botanic Garden. Big mistake. Riding in the park and on neighborhood streets is nothing like traversing Eastern Parkway at rush hour. Needless to say, I panicked and at the first sign of rescue - a curb cut away outside the Garden - I attempted to exit on the sidewalk. Too bad I encountered a slippery metal edge at an angle and the bike slid out under me. I was unceremoniously dumped in front of two people who totally cracked up. To add insult to injury, I got this nice patch of road burn. Thankfully my desire to fit into certain pants again outweighs my fear of embarrassment and I know I'll try again really soon.

1 comment:

PJ Coleman said...

I am picturing a 16 year-old Anna on that bike wearing the "Special Sweater" and riding to band practice where she will rock out with her French Horn.