June 17, 2008

Hot Hot Heat

June 7th

Today mom (who was camera shy) and I spent the day hopping from one air conditioned venue to the next in an effort to stay out of the record breaking 93+ degree heat.

Our first stop was the Murakami retrospective exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum. The show was a real whimsical treat. I recommend all New Yorkers see this before it closes in July. The museum itself is a treasure and my mom and I also spent a good deal of time with Judy Chicago's famous Dinner Party. (Go see that sometime too.)

After our high minded art morning, we came into the city to spend two hours cooling in the the replica of the original Ziegfeld Theater watching pure fluff.


On our subway exit at Columbus Circle, I finally realized that this was an exact miniature replica of the Unisphere in Corona Park. I can't believe I missed that all these years.

We concluded our day with a return to culture at a Monks and Mystics concert given by some of my kickball peeps in The Young New Yorkers Chorus. I was totally blown away by the talent of my friends. I found it hard to reconcile my thoughts of them in sweaty t-shirts swilling cheap beer with these cultured black tie professionals in front of me. Since I'm in a demanding mood, be sure to bookmark their website and check them out at their next concert.

No comments: