August 15, 2007

Banchan

August 14th

I met some old summer camp friends for Korean BBQ tonight. It has become something of a tradition when Filner comes to town to stuff our faces with grilled meats and the 27,000 versions of banchan (side dishes) that come with a traditional Korean meal.

The first time we tried this cuisine we confused the hell out of our waiter when we attempted to turn him away protesting loudly that we "did not order any appetizers". Thankfully he realized we were idiots (i.e. the only non-Asian people in the entire joint) and left the tasty dishes on the table despite our protestations.

This time around we ordered a meat dish cooked fresh on the table. It was a delicious little lettuce wrapped package of goodness. If you've never tried this type of "BBQ" give it a shot.

(Filner, sorry your eyes are closed. We should have taken more than one photo.)

And since this blog is about being 30, I just wanted to note that it is insane that I have now known these people (and a few other CTY kids) for half my life. Who would have thought three weeks at nerd camp at age 15 would turn into life long friendships that have totally shaped who I am today?

2 comments:

Amy Carpenter said...

I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. I look forward to seeing something new every day.

Kel said...

I totally got gas just LOOKING at those photos.