August 30, 2007

Newport Day 1

August 23rd

Today was beautiful Newport. I went crazy with the camera again and you can see all photos here.

After an unfortunate stop to repair the brakes on Chris's poor hoopdie-hoop, we manged to spend a little time walking the beach right outside our hotel.
I decided I didn't want to even poke my toes in the water after we saw this huge disgusting seagull pecking at this dead otter carcass! SO GROSS! (Why did I take this photo?)

Right next door to the hotel was Flo's Clam Shack. I felt like we were visiting a place you might see on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on the food network.

The sign outside informed us that over 20 million clam cakes had been served so we took their advice. They were super greasy but tasty as a side dish to chowdaaa. Plus, you can't beat a dozen cakes, 2 bowls of soup, and 2 beers for $18!

6 hours of digestion later, we went down to the harbor where the rich people eat fancy seafood. While waiting for our table we explored the shops and gawked at the big pimpin boats!

We ate at The Mooring (shown here) and if you are ever in Newport, I give it big thumbs up.

A very nice lady gave us some coupons for free appetizers so we splurged and also got a nice bottle of wine. (Erin and Kelly, these photos were taken and posted to the blog just for you in honor of the Diamond Project!)

On the drive back we pulled over as we passed this thing!

Located in the center of Touro Park, the "Old Stone Mill" is a mystery. Some say its eight columns were erected by Vikings other say it was built by Benedict Arnold, a governor of the colony long before his great-great-grandson committed his infamous act of treason. In any case, it was pretty flippin cool.

And while we were in the park, I took this totally kick ass photo. (I'm patting myself on the back even as I write this.)

No comments: