August 29, 2007

Old Orchard Beach and Salem

August 21st

We left Portland in the late afternoon and stopped off at Old Orchard Beach for some old fashioned boardwalk fun. After several games of skeet ball (my Hoffman's Playland arcade skills were way rusty and Chris won most of the games) and a quick ride on the roller coaster, we hit the Fun Wheel for some nice views of the ocean and the pier.

After a long overpriced late lunch, we rolled into Salem. We arrived after all of the "museums" had closed but I can't say I was disappointed.

After messing around in the shops all selling the same ubiquitous witch paraphernalia, the message was clear that this town is a one trick pony. I only regret that I didn't get a chance to stop by the New England Pirate Museum. Arrrrrrgh.

We did spend some time exploring the graves in the creepy cemetery next to the Samuel Pickman House.

Why would someone want this image on their tomb? (Read my smart friend Amy's comment here for the answer.)

There was a section of stones set in a garden paying tribute to the actual women and men who were killed during the witch trials in 1692. This poor bastard was PRESSED TO DEATH!

And if the graveyard wasn't spooky enough on its own, the trees inside seemed ideal for a hanging.

To see more creepster photos from this day you can stop by the set here.

3 comments:

Amy Carpenter said...

Oooh! I know why that design would be on a tombstone! It's called a Death's Head and is very common on early New England tombstones. It is associated with Puritanistic beliefs, stressing mortality and downplaying the afterlife and/or resurrection.

Death's heads were often accompanied by cheery epitaphs like this one:

Remember me as you pass by
As you are now so once was I
As I am now you soon must be
Prepare for death and follow me.


At least this one doesn't mention worms, decay and moldering dust.

James Deetz has written fairly extensively about New England tombstones, including a chapter of his book In Small Things Forgotten and this article:

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-7316%28196604%2931%3A4%3C502%3ADHCAWT%3E2.0.CO%3B2-D

I'm sure that was far more information than you ever needed to know...

Your reformed archaeologist friend,
Amy

Kel said...

I would totally want that on my head stone. Its way rad. Besides, its not like I have to look at it. I'm dead. You poor bastards do...

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Giles Corey a character in The Crucible? I believe he was pressed to death in the play...