August 14, 2007

Graffiti Wars

August 13th

I have a hard time finding good photo subjects when I stick to my daily neighborhoods of the Upper East Side and Park Slope. It's not that these places are not beautiful or interesting in their unique way, but they are static and safe. While there is no formal goal behind this blog, I am attempting to present some of the more interesting sides of New York City, as well as documenting an entire year of my life.

In any case, last night I went to a work happy hour way down on the lower east side at a bar directly next to the Williamsburg bridge. I spent some time wandering looking for cheap eats in the area (there are plenty of options) and took a ton of photos.

I have to admit that while the idea of bathroom stall graffiti (you will eventually see some on the blog) and things scrawled on the sides of trains mystify me, I find many kinds of graffiti compelling. If you have the chance, rent Style Wars for an insiders view on the origins and developments of this movement in the city.

I mean, what is not to like about a bunch of wacko gnomes on stilts hanging on Clinton Street?

I also like when my name appears above a garage door covered in more traditional scrawl.


This is downright cool. I've read about this artist, probably on Wooster Collective. In any case, it grabbed my attention and blah, blah, blah.

And last, but certainly not least, I present to you....

BAD PUSSIES!
(Click on this and make it bigger. You won't regret it.)

2 comments:

Kel said...

Seriously folks, click this thing and make it larger. Its so worth it. Since I am VIP and I get previews of stuff before it goes on the blog I have already commented the hell out of this thing. But I would like to point out some true gems, lest you miss them. One- cat in the right corner has a freebasing spoon!!! And a syringe, which is sort of obvious but the bent spoon is so subtle. Two- cat on the mailbox is it humping that mailbox? Is that what a comment bubble with a heart means? Three- I really dig the XXX moonshine.

J said...

New York, if nothing, is fodder for great photographs.