October 19, 2007

Frank Gehry Rocked It

September 26th

Today I walked along the river past this Calatrava bridge on my way to the museum. I unpacked my painting and spent remainder of the morning lost in the Richard Serra permanent installation. It's absolutely fabulous, as was his show this fall at MoMA.

This is the Jeff Koons Puppy located directly in front of the museum. It was supposed to be temporary but the people of Bilbao petitioned and now it's there for keeps.

There is a lot I could say about the museum building, but I don't have the time or energy. Suffice to say I think it totally rocks and I'm glad the Basque government paid Frank Gehry to make this a reality. While I'm not a huge fan of his work (I think the EMP building is mostly ugly) I am in love with this building. You will be able to tell how much when you see how many photos I took.

(I'm getting this one above printed out and framed)


Check out how crazy the building looks from between the Spanish buildings.

I mostly love how the angles change and become a different shape and the titanium reflects the color of the sky.

But the museum isn't the only beautiful building in Bilbao.

No comments: