October 29, 2007

Katz's Pastrami And Kickballs

October 23rd

Tonight was my first game of the new kickball season. Since we play at night under lights on the lower east side, there is a lot of time to kill between work and the game. So before the season opener, my friend Martin and I fortified ourselves with a $15 monster pastrami on sourdough from Katz's Deli.

Not unlike the restaurant for which our kickball team is named (Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles), Katz's is one of those places where the food is so good famous people like Oprah and Bill Clinton go and then wind up in photos on the wall. (Makes me long for Pat's and Tony Luke's in Philly.) The deli has been in business since 1888 and I rather enjoy being part of New York City history when I eat dinner. They loaned one of their famous "Send A Salami To Your Boy In The Army" posters to the first museum exhibition I assembled when I moved to the city, Ours To Fight For at the Museum of Jewish Heritage.

This is one Katz's sandwich split in two. It is the best pastrami in the world. They cut it directly off the bone in front of you and let you sample shavings while they assemble your selection. Side note: Martin ate all the pickles.

Katz's was also the backdrop to the famous organism scene in When Harry Met Sally.
Since I popped Martin's pastrami cherry, and he certainly had what Sally had, we decided role reversal was in order for this photo.

Later that night, my new team won 10-1 in our first game and tied 4-4 in our double header. Go RCK!

1 comment:

Mia said...

Oh man, now THAT's a sandwich!

I wanna live in a big CITY!!!!!!

And a kickball team too??? The hell you say!