October 24, 2007

Via El Vino

October 13th

Today a bunch of us participated in Beth's 3rd Annual Long Island Wine Tasting tour. We were a small group so they put us in an airport shuttle bus!

First stop, Briermere Farms.

While they were lacking in the vino department, they had lots of fall goodies.

Um, this thing is called a cheddar cauliflower. Unless that melts into golden cheese, I'm not going near it with a ten foot pole. It's not natural.

The first vineyard was Pelligrini. It was something of a let down because they stuck us inside on a beautiful fall day.

We tasted five wines and I scored extra red from those at my table who prefer white. Here's me looking snobby with the ladies in the backdrop looking super serious.

(Also, there appears to be a Klingon in my glass reflection. Creepy.)

Happy, Sneezy, And Dopey here were underwhelmed by the selections.

The second vineyard was Osprey Dominion where we enjoyed a yummy Italian lunch, a tasting of eight wines, and I split a bottle of Merlot with the serious women.

Vineyard 48 was the third stop. I didn't get any photos of the actual winery, but I did grab some shots of this lovely chess set for sale.

The ladies and I enjoyed a "Red 48" bottle on the bus to the final winery, Pindar. It was hot and crowded inside so we skipped the tasting in favor of splitting a third bottle outside. Needless to say, we were a little saucy on the ride home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love L.I. wine country. We're heading out soon and can't wait. Did you have any of Briermere's famous pies? Next time you go, visit some of the smaller wineries like. Roanoke, Corey Creek, Macari are some of our faves...